A daily mobile experience.
This time I was challenged by Tobias Ahlin on redesigning a daily mobile experience. The brief was pretty straight forward and the only constraints were to create something that people might crave, considering conceptualisation and implementation.
Christian Ghanime, Niklas Persson and me worked iteratively during 3 weeks to bring together the best alarm clock app to date. We realised very soon that the iOS clock had some big issues that gave users a poor experience.
Type: UI, UX, motion graphics
Role: Art direction, design
To clarify who the users are and what are their pains and drivers, we created 3 personas that helped us to ideate around the job, pain relievers and delighters.
We wanted to understand and map out the different stages of the user experience to have a better vision of what are the user needs and prioritise during this strategy phase.
Off to bed
Preparation for getting into bed on a weekday.
Checks social media
Using an iPhone to catch up with last updates. Until this point all ok.
Planning for tomorrow morning and consideration of possible changes.
Make adjustments and calculations on the app according to schedule. Stress!
Alarm rings off
The same old sound and same volume. Irritation!
Difficulties to see the screen properly.
Alarm rings off
After 10min without option of change.
Feeling still tired.
Late for work!
We decided in the process to create a small survey, in order to get some valuable information and validate our hypothesis on how people use the app and what functions they find useful or not.
From 1 to 10 how would you rate the iOS alarm app?
After observations around the data captured, quantitative and qualitative, we formed key insights and ways of making the user experience of waking up in the morning better, while evaluating and identifying the priorities.
We wanted to dive into the structure of the iOS alarm and check what pages and actions were truly valuable for the user, which ones were the nice-to-have and which ones were just creating extra steps on a single goal.
From the insights of the discovery phase, we started brainstorming ideas for making the alarm app a better and easy to use app. A simple tool to get ideas out and flowing is to put them on paper so that way is easy, fast and fun to share a vision and build on each other's ideas.
Once we finished some low-fidelity prototypes, we put them on separate workflows so we could test them with different users. We gathered a group of 5 people that covered our user target to test our different proposals. After thorough observation and rate of efficiency we chose one prototype to refine and develop further.
At this stage we started refining our low fidelity prototype, making sure that it had a sense of uniqueness. However, we wanted it to have the same design guidelines that Apple follows. One thing that we put a lot of effort on was details, we wanted to maintain a cohesive and scalable user experience.
The next step...
We put a lot of effort into the small details of our concept to make it unique and as simple as possible. We are planning to continue working on the implementation of the product, so we can validate its performance. Thank you for reading, share and feel free to give me your input!